Thursday, 18 April 2013

Primal Success!


Finally! That only took me about three months of hard labour, in between all of the things going on in my life!

Behold! The Primal Beyond in all its glory!
There was an insane amount of effort and patience going into this project. So many trips to the art store. So many hours spent wondering how the heck I would make that colour... The solution? Buy more colour pencils!!! But even then I had to fudge some, so it doesn't look quite like the reference. Also, I screwed up a few areas, in terms of relative positioning.

Whew that was the most fun I've had in a long while with my art, despite the ridiculous amounts of time and energy spent on this. Most of my stuff has been gloomy up until now, so this is a very nice change of pace! Well they're not really gloomy, but the greyscale sure does make it look like that.

This was totally worth it, just in terms of how awesome it looks (ignoring the flaws and treating it as a standalone piece) and the sheer joy I got out of this whole process.

Maybe one of these days I'll go through the process step-by-step, but with another piece. For now, I want nothing to do with this besides standing back and marvelling at what I've achieved. I've found that I'm absolutely awful at teaching this sort of thing IRL but maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to do it better if I have the time to cut out the awkwardness in my delivery and the magic of backspace and CTRL+Z :P

Anyway, I'm going to just veg out tonight and celebrate the end of my midsemester exams. I'll be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment